Monday, February 27, 2012

THE DARING BAKERS’ FEBRUARY, 2012 CHALLENGE: Quick! Gimme a Flavor! ;)

This months challenge was hosted by Lis, one of the co-founders of The Daring Kitchen.
Quickbreads!  So many different variations can be made for this one!

For my first submission I made a Bacon and Cheddar Loaf with caramalized onions.
Didn't take pictures of the work in progress but I got one of the finished product.
Really should have used some parchment paper for this one!  I would still have to call this cooking trial a success since there was a bit of fighting over who got to eat the part that was stuck on the bottom.  Was so looking forward to a slice for breakfast.. no such luck it was all gone by then. 
For this loaf I just used a basic quickbread recipe and added about 1/4 cup cooked and crumbled bacon (I tried to make sure it was very well cooked so there would be less grease), a cup of shredded old cheddar and 1/2 an onion diced small and caramalized in a touch of butter.   
I may lower the amount of cheese next time as I found it was still a bit on the greasy side but the super crisp bacon softened up nicely. 

For my second attempt I made a double chocolate loaf with peanut butter chips.  YUM
I adapted the recipe from The Very Best of Baking.  This was actually my first time visiting the site and I was quite impressed.  So many new things I want to make. 
I used regular chocolate chips and peanut butter chips in place the of the mini morsels it called for but pretty much followed everything else.  Oh and I didn't make the Chocolate Honey Butter though I was sorely tempted.  This loaf really didn't need it anyways. 

Too much stuff?
Nah!! There can never be too much stuff!


MMMMMMmmmm
Thanks Lis for a very fun challenge.  Looking forward to seeing all the submissions for this month! 



1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm all over this quick bread! It's going to be tomorrow's snack, you betcha. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete